Thursday, October 4, 2012

So what do I believe, anyway? Part 2

In addition to believing in the Gaia hypothesis, I also believe in a sort of Jungian oversoul.  I believe that archetypes help to form the structure of this oversoul or collective unconscious, and that as such, they form a mythos that can help us to grasp the often slippery ideas of spirituality.  I think that myths and folktales -- as well as contemporary literature and all forms of art -- are often composed of or involve archetypal figures, and that as such, these forms of art can help us to understand metaphysical themes.  This is where things like the Tarot come in.  They don't predict the future so much as act as a conduit for us to better understand ourselves and our situations

The oversoul I believe in differs from Jung's in a critical way.  I believe that all life feeds into this oversoul -- that there aren't separate collective unconsciouses for different species the way Jung though.  In fact, I'm not sure if inanimate objects have a part in the oversoul or not.  They may, but I am rather trending toward thinking that they don't.

I have not read Emerson's The Over-soul , but I rather think I should.  Maybe that will be my next post -- what I think of that essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment