Monday, October 22, 2012

Cause for celebration

So what religious holidays do I feel are celebratory?  Well, mostly for me it is the equinoxes and solstices.  To me they are reminders of the passage of time, the turn of the earth around the sun.  The traditionally "major" neopagan holidays just don't hold much resonance for me. Here is a list of the days I consider special and their significance:

Midwinter: This holiday feels like a celebration of the return of the light, and a celebration of laying fallow and resting.  It is a time for reconnecting with the people I love.  It is a time of year I associate with death, but also with rebirth.

Spring Equinox: This is a time when the first blossoms have already appeared where I live, and it feels like the world is ripe with promise, like a new bud just opening.  It is a time for planting my garden and making plans. It feels like the beginning of a new year.  It feels virginal, and I associate this time of year with maidenhood.

Midsummer: This is a time to celebrate fertility and the fullness of life. I enjoy the variety of fresh fruits available at this time and of then preserve them for giving.  It is a very motherly time of year.

Fall Equinox: This is the harvest festival.  It is a time of gathering in energies and harvests in order to prepare for the future.  This is the time of year I associate with aging or "crone-ness".

No comments:

Post a Comment